Locked Up

I need help, and it required a visual aid. So, I decided to forgo a text post, skip the podcast, and go straight for the vlog.

Please click the “play” button. Give it a moment after doing so (in IE you might have to click it twice to get it started). Scrolling could mess it up, too, so simmer down with the scrolling.

11 Responses to Locked Up

1. It’s a locking blade single use knife. Simple. Toss it.

On a serious note…it’s hard to say. The video, although very well done, doesn’t really show a good close-up of the exact point where the blades lock.

I would venture a guess, but the second I suggest something you’ll show up at Easter with a pinky nub, and I’ll feel guilty.

Ahhh…it’s just a pinky. What the heck?

Have you checked to see if the blades will close individually? If simple tension with the back of the blade butting against the housing is what locks them in place, then it may just be that it isn’t designed to have all three open at once, and you can’t overcome that much tension without pushing so hard that you really could hurt yourself.

I would put it in a vice, and see if you can take something…not your fingers…and push the blades up one at a time.

But beyond that…I have no idea. Good luck….and no trip to the ER.

2. Aha…I did a quick search that yielded this…

“The locking blades and tools release by pressing down on the remaining ones in typical Schrade fashion, easy enough.”

I also watched your video a few times in full screen, and I’ve got it. My recommendation is now this…

Put it in a vice, and then find something to push down the metal housing from the inside out on that “flap” area, just behind where the back ends of the blades are. That should then allow you to get the blades to close by releasing the notched portion of the blades from the metal housing where they’re locking.

I could telestrate your video if I had some high-tech gear, but instead I’m going with my best verbal instructions.

It’s possible that you might be able to just hold it…carefully, with the open blade end and the “flap” hanging out over the kitchen counter, and then pushing down on the housing from the inside out, and get them to release and push up. I just don’t know how thick that little cut out area is on that housing, and how much pressure you have to put on it to force it to give enough to let the notched out portion of the blades clear the housing.

Then once you get them closed…don’t open more than 1 at a time after that, because apparently pushing down on the blades that aren’t folded out is what pushes down on that “flap” in the housing, thereby releasing the utensil that is locked in place.

And again…don’t hurt yourself. I cringed when I saw you push on the end of the blades while holding that handle. I’m sure you weren’t pushing hard…but it looked scary.

3. As in all “Guy things”…. use a bigger hammer!

Good luck… (and thanks Charles, for the info)

4. Charles – I tried your tip, short of putting the tool in a vice. Still might try that as soon as I can take it to Josh’s (or do you have one, Alvis?). I wrapped my hand inside a folded hand towel, then used my thumb to push down on the longest blade still folded into the handle. That seemed, like your suggestion implied, that the locking mechanism was made to give enough at that point to fold down an extended blade. It gave a little, but I couldn’t fold the blades down. I think we’re onto the method needed, but having that many blades out at once makes it tough to work the thing.

Still planning to try again as soon as I can. No bloodshed thus far.

5. Dave – It might just come down to that!

6. What a frustratingly informative video that was. I’ve never used nor heard of that particular make of tool, so am flying blind here. (Even though I saw the video quite clearly.) Have you tried pressing down on the housing of the handle, just below the pin that holds the three or four foldable tools in place? It looks like it’s notched in such a way as to somehow enable the knife-y fold-y thingy.

I tried taking a screen shot that I was going to alter in Paint, but your video doesn’t come along in a screen capture, so that was rather pointless.

Let us know if you succeed, or just suck. As an engineer, I’m keenly interested to see how it eventually all unfolds. (See? That was a pun.)
    ;)

7. It seems to me like Charles is onto it. The folded blades should work as a lever that push the unfolded blades just slightly away from the bar that fits into the notch that keeps the blades from folding back in. But if that ain’t working…I’m at a loss. Send an email along with link to the video to the Schrade company ;) If you still haven’t solved the problem by May…bring it along. I’m sure Simon and I would love to injure ourselves in persuit of a solution.

Also, don’t take this the wrong way, but I couldn’t help but smile at the Texas/Arkansas lilt to the “See Ya” at the end of the video. We’ve spoken so infrequently that I tend to forget ;)

8. Simon – I figured your engineer-ness would spur you to action. I have tried pushing in on that spot. No luck.

Moksha – Yes, I think Charles’ suggestion is right. I think he also is right when he says that the manufacturer never meant for so many blades to be folded out at once. I have a feeling that the method I’m trying now would work if I had only one blade locked. As it is, I have only one folded-down blade trying to release the tension for several locked blades. The other way around, and it might work fine.

I don’t take your comment the wrong way. I often slip into a drawl for effect. It’s the accent I do best because I grew up with it. I venture to guess, though, that most southerners probably wouldn’t have noticed it at all. Now, whether or not you believe I did it on purpose in that instance is up to you. One might be right to have doubts.

9. Man, I love those multi-tools! I must have half a dozen, as I’m always looking for the ideal pocket “toolbox.” I never saw this one, because I’d buy it in a minute! Obviously (well, not so obviously – I probably watched the video 20 times), the back of the knife is a springy material that is lifted up by the short end of the blade (the end on the other side of the hinge from the tool end) as it is rotated into extended position. Of course, the springy back has a hole in it and the notch in the back of the blade falls into this hole as the blade swings all the way open. The spring is a stiff one and it requires a strong push to lift it either to lock or unlock – which is what you want in alocking blade. However, the short end/long end of the blade provides a lever (remember Archimedes, who said, “??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??????.”) which makes it easy to lift the spring as the blade rotates into position. So we need to find the lever that lifts the spring to get the blade back in. That thingy you extended when you talked about the “wirestripper” isn’t a wirestripper, it’s a can opener. Those notches in the side of the casing of the knife are there 1. to provide a place for you to insert your thumbnail to lift blades and 2. to provide a place to PUSH DOWN on the closed blade(s) far back from the hinge. There is a longer blade (I believe) on the other side of the knife from the can opener. I’ll bet if you push down on it the spring will be lifted enough to close the blades. But notice: I didn’t bet money!

10. This is getting good. I’m still waiting for the “sharpest knife in the drawer” to come on and enlighten us. Ba Da Boom….Ching!….I’ll be here all night.

I’ll also submit this, from our Father.

“Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.”

I know that makes you feel better doesn’t it? Actually with his freakishly strong fingers, he might be able to help as well.

Pops gave a good description, and I think it’s dead on the money. If there is another blade on the opposite side of the can opener that isn’t folded out already, find something to push down on it HARD as close to the tip of it as you can get (far away from where they lock) and use it as a lever. I couldn’t see another blade in the video, but hopefully it’s there as he suggests.

The issue seems to stem from the fact that you opened all three at once, so now you don’t have anything in the position needed to create a lever to produce enough torque/pressure on that housing to make it “give” a little.

From here, I’m guessing that you’re going to have to find a way to stabilize it enough to put some pretty substantial pressure on the housing to create just enough gap between the locked blades and that housing itself to get them folded back in.

I have a few sets of hex keys (Allen wrenches) that are in a metal housing like that. It works fine as long as you only have one extended, but when you fold out more than one, it screws up the tolerance and it spits all of them out at you. But hey….why should I have more than one out at a time anyway right? Learned that one that hard way.

11. Oh…and a special nod to Simon’s pun. Outstanding effort.

From a career in sales, I have always made it a point to put my best material at the first, or at the end. Studies prove that people remember what came first and last, and he tucked that pun in there right at the curtain. Nice….

I’m slightly distracted. There’s an ice cold Newcastle calling to me faintly from the Fridge. Later….