Out of Nowhere

I absently check my e-mail at home and in comes a message from someone I’ve neither seen nor spoken to in nearly 20 years (long before I had e-mail).

I don’t know how yet because we haven’t had a chance to talk, but he stumbled upon my blog and happens to live within 15 miles of where I do. He gave me his mobile number and said he’s going to be at a restaurant Friday night within a mile of where I work (less than half that as the crow flies), and his e-mail signature indicates he’s some sort of executive for the company that manages that one and several others.

So, here I am, after amassing 213 friends on Facebook, about 200 of whom I could lose again and never notice, when out of nowhere drops the one guy my old friends and I ask about every time we’re together.

Completely by accident he found me and within hours of when this posts I’ll see him. Maybe I’ll get some answers to the mystery that’s been plaguing us all these years.

7 Responses to Out of Nowhere

1. Keep in touch with your friends Mark…. I just found out today that another of my good friends I used to work with passed away.

2. Very cool Mark! Hope you have a great lunch! I recently reconnected on FB with one of my bestfriends from college. He pretty much drop-off the face of the earth for 10 years and ‘found’ me last week. I was more than thrilled!

3. It can’t have been over 17 years, b/c he was in our wedding in 1992, but that’s definitely too long!!! I am glad he finally surfaced- who would have guessed it would be just down the road?

4. Dave – That’s an effort I can support.

Trinity – It turns out my estimate was a little off. He was supposed to be at the restaurant Friday night. I guess he was, but he didn’t answer his phone when I called in the afternoon to let him know I would try to drop by.

Shan – I said, “nearly 20,” which can be as little as 15 in my world.

5. Sorry you weren’t able to hook up with your old pal. But now that you know he’s so close…it’s just a matter of time.

6. Huh.
    That is weird and fortuitous and cool.

7. Seems crazy that we can lose touch with someone close enough to have been in our (your) wedding and yet it happens… But the wonderfulness of technology that can enable us to hook up again constantly amazes me.