Walkway of Death

I clinched several times while watching this video — mostly near the end, but it’s all quite harrowing. Located in Spain, El Caminito Del Rey was in use from 1905 to 2000, when it was closed after too many people died trying to use it.

If the embedded player didn’t work, then click the link below:

13 Responses to Walkway of Death

1. I am going to go throw up now! I have jumped out of planes and bungee jumped but there is NO WAY I would do that…EVER!

2. I don’t get the big deal. I mean, there’s a saftey line and it’s clearly been well maintained. ;)

But I would totally do that. My god, the view would be sooo worth it.

And hat’s off to the Han fan graffittist!

3. Holy cow! Even without the gaps in the walk I don’t think I’d do that. Very cool video, though. Glad to experience vicariously.

4. Anna – Yes, but in those activities you have safety gear designed to keep you from going *splat*. That guy had nothing. Crazy!

Moksha – I didn’t notice the Han graffiti. Now I have to go watch it again.

Rave – I thought the same thing — that it’s neat to have a video like this to watch even after the walkway is long gone.

5. I totally agree Mark! The thing that get me is the holes in the path and no rail….insane I tell you!

6. I’m with Anna – I’m going to go puke now!!! No view is worth putting my life in that kind of danger. That takes insanity to a new level!

7. Oddly, I saw that a few days ago, and marveled at the guts and/or stupidity to do something like that. Not just to do it, but to carry a hand-held camera while doing so. I liked the brief shot of the guy walking the path slooooowly with the double fall protection harnesses. Sort of seemed against the spirit of the walk, you know?

8. NO FREAKING WAY!!!! That’s about all I can say right now!

9. You were very observant to notice that my husband did indeed tilt the camera….I have trained him well! ;)

10. With my extreme fear of heights… my palms are sweating just watching it!!

Not for me… nope.

11. I saw this when in Spain in 2000. As I recall there is one point where it shares a tunnel with train tracks. Very scary looking and we didn’t go anywhere near the actual pass. But there was this tiny hostel setup near the base of the thing that I would imagine is where all these nuts hold up the night before. How ya’ll doin?

12. Josh! You’re alive! Good to hear from you.

13. Begs the question: How did they get all that concrete up there?