Project Looking Through (Number Three)

Translucent

Driving through my in-laws’ neighborhood (for a little while longer), I saw the sun lighting up this tree’s red leaves. I was glad that I always have at least my Canon Powershot A560. After I pulled into a side street and parked, I noticed that from the opposite side the tree didn’t look interesting at all. The backlighting made it.

It’s great to see so many joining my Project Looking Through. Framing subjects with objects from the scene always has appealed to me, but I don’t do it often. I think it’s also an exercise in foreground. Often, allowing a little foreground can transform a humdrum photo into something more. It can add depth and give the viewer a better sense of being there.

See more Project Looking Through participants at the bottom of my latest PLT post. Join in if you would like to take part. Have a great weekend!

Continue to Underfoot (PLT Number Four)

44 Responses to Project Looking Through (Number Three)

1. As I said on our page – the project idea was very interesting, it gives so much possibilities to make good photos. I was late to find it and then more technical problems appeared with the Blogger. But here I am and now I start to look what others have done…

2. Carletta invited me to come over and see your new project! I was a little hesitant at first, but gave it a try and am having fun!

Your photo is lovely!

3. I am participating in your PLT for the first time today. Looks like FUN!

4. Awesome Mark, I love the sidewalks in the US! Happy Friday! I posted a pizza oven today.

5. Mine is up again too!
    I love the light you captured in the leaves of the tree, it “makes” that picture!

6. Mine’s a little different today! But, the subject matter is one of my favorites.. :D

Great shot, Mark!!

7. THat’s amazing, Mark. The backlit leaves ae almost haunting in their glow. I’m impressed, sir.

8. Those are beautiful colors on that tree! Great shot!!

Thanks for starting such an interesting project, Mark. I really am enjoying it.

9. This project has been fun–not only choosing what I want to contribute, but seeing all the wonderful photos of the other participants.

Thanks for coming up with this fun exercise!

K

10. Nice! The pavement really sets out the leaf color, and that bit of dark in the front corner adds mystery :)

11. I am dreaming of grass that green right now. Flaccid, moldy brown just doesn’t impress nearly as much. Lighting is excellent! Delightful contrast! And other compliments!

12. Wonderfully lit. Fall is such a beautiful season and I’m sure I’ll be longing for it mid summer :-D

13. This project will be a great lesson in perspective, I think. I agree, Mark, a special “frame” can totally alter our interest in a photo–it takes a bit of imagination to “think” it, then determination to capture it.

Thanks for the exercise!

And…have I got a WILD SHOT for you today!! I wasn’t trying for a PLT image, and was quite surprised when I discovered it was PERFECT for this!

See you on Monday, right?

14. Thanks again, everybody! Today is a travel day for me, but I’m checking everybody’s pics before we leave.

Although the colors in this pic are reminiscent of fall, I took it on April 11, just one day before the window picture that helped kick off this project. That’s all I have for now.

15. Lovely shot! I’m a big fan of back lighting.

I agree with your comment about depth. I often find myself playing with a shot by first focusing on something in the foreground and letting the “main” subject remain blurry, then switching focus. It’s fun (and sometimes surprising) to see the results.

I’m glad I found this community of visual artists. Very creative. :)

16. Hi, Mark!

Just joined the project. I’m glad this is not a competition, I wouldn’t stand a chance…

17. Beautiful backlighting. The leaves seem to glow.

18. The framing really does intensify the effect of this shot. Very nice.

I love this idea. I enjoy setting up many of my pics this way. Are you guys posting daily? Or weekly?

19. That’s GREAT! I agree — that light is awesome. This has been fun.

My third pic is up. :)

20. I think this is a great idea for a project. I’ve got mine set to appear Monday, April 21. I’ll be out of town for a few days, so I’m trying to get some posts ready ahead of time.

21. PS – I forgot to mention, even though the post is set to appear on Monday, it can be accessed now by clicking on the auto link above.

22. Your photos are great and I absolutely love this idea. Thanks!

23. Very pretty picture , looking through the leaves!

They look like fall !

Junie

24. The light on the leaves is amazing.

25. All – I liked finding all these comments and additions to PLT when we got home tonight. Actually, after our six-hour drive home, we spent all our time with our son and then put him to bed right before 8 (CDT). Then I got a chance to look at the latest entries here.

Thanks again! I plan to wrap up Project Looking Through early this coming week. It might pop up again, but it won’t be daily.

26. The light and colors are awesome! What a cool idea.

Mine was actually posted about a week and a half ago, so it’s not titled with the Project Looking Through title – hope that’s okay. :-)

27. I don’t know if you’re playing during the weekend, but I added one anyway! See you!

28. Mark, I’m going to give this a try. Cheers!

Blather From Brooklyn

29. That is beautiful. I am learning a lot just looking at all the different photos.

30. I love this project. Thank you for sharing it. Your flowered tree shoit is spectacular. I know what you mean about the light shining through. I was palying with lighting a lot this week, changing angles and composition to create different visuals or moods.

31. shot

I posted without proof reading. It is past my bedtime. (11:36 P.M. here)

32. You have a great weekend as well Mark! I love the time of day when the sun lights up the trees so beautifully!

33. What a fun project, I’ve been unplugged most of the week so I’m jumping on a little late…neat idea, I’m looking forward to checking out the other posts.

34. I love this project you have started. I particullarly love this photo. You have a great eye, my friend.

35. This is a great idea! Thanks for starting it! Your pictures are awesome.

36. Well, you’ve definitely started something! While at a local fun center for a kids’ birthday party, I was finding some interesting things to shoot. Just as people became hyper-focused on yellow, I find myself looking for PLT shots. This is a reflection more than a “look through,” but I liked it anyway. :D

37. I hope you keep the project open just a little bit longer. It’s really fun and I’m learning so much about good photography :)
    Thanks!

38. I’ve been adding a new shot every day. We’re not supposed to reclick your linky-dink each time, are we?

This is fun. Thanks for hosting. :)

39. Okay! I posted 3 photos to get caught up for the 3 days so far… This is a great idea! I love photographic challenges!

40. All – No need to add your link every time. I just figure that until it’s over, the links all are “hot” as PLT participants. I wanted to give it a full week, but now I’m not sure I want to be away from my usual blogging that long. I’ll probably wrap it up on Monday or Tuesday, for myself. Anybody else who wants to go on, I guess there’s nothing stopping you.

Thanks again for the enthusiastic response.

41. Okay, I can’t quit now. :D Yet another submission.

42. Thanks for allowing others to share in this perspective project! Also, thank you, Jeanne, for the invite that led me here!

43. Good theme for a photo project, Mark. I found an image, so I decided to contribute to it.
    Have a nice week!
    Émilie B.

44. Excellent picture Mark… and it seems to have raised your readership to a new level! *LOL*