Krack, Rain, and More Story

(For today, you may preview and/or download “Noel Sing We” from my Free Christmas Song Each Day page)

Wednesday morning, we were out of milk, and with the holiday eating season already in full swing, my resistance was low. I stopped at McDonald’s on the way into work.

I happened to be testing my recorder’s ability to capture one of my favorite sounds — rain. I’m going to compare these recordings to those I make with the microphones I (hope I’ll) get for Christmas. In addition to Nature’s percussive sogginess, I caught the drive-thru speaker and myself squawking about my order.

“The House With No Lights” Moved

To continue reading “The House With No Lights,” please click here

Krack Recipe

To see the recipe for Krack (which of course is not its official name — it hasn’t one), just keep reading here.

1 bag of Ritz chips (original flavor)
2 cups of pecan pieces
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup white Karo syrup
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Preheat oven to 250. Spray a large cake pan or cookie sheet with sides with nonstick spray. Spread 1/2 the Ritz chips in the pan, breaking them up slightly and layer it with half of the pecans and then repeat with the remainder chips and pecans.

In a 2-qt pan, melt butter. When melted, add Karo and sugar. Bring to a full boil, stirring onstantly. Boil for 4 1/2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and add vanilla and baking soda. Stir well and pour this mixture over the Ritz chips, stirring to coat well. It will be sticky. Bake 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. (Spray your spoon with nonstick
spray to prevent sticking.)

The mixture should be crisp and slightly brown when done. Turn out onto foil and let cool. Break up into smaller pieces if desired and store in airtight container.

Props to Shannon’s friend, C, for giving it up.

10 Responses to Krack, Rain, and More Story

1. Dude, that speaker sounded like the one from that scene in Charlie’s Angels. (Wasn’t that Cameron Diaz bum-wiggle scene the best? But I digress.)

Krack sounds pretty good, but I have no idea what karo syrup is. The rest of the recipe makes my arteries harden just reading it. So of course I want some.

2. There’s probly some Canadian word for Karo… like sweetening syrup or something.

3. *laughing at the McDonalds order”…. the rain sounded great…. very clear.

Yeah, us Northerners don’t use Karo syrup very much. It’s kinda like “Lard”. Down south it’s very popular, up here almost non-existent.

Sounds decadent nonetheless!

4. Simon – Karo is a brand name for light corn syrup. Like the other ingredients, it’s not good on the body.

Linda – Oh, they no doubt have uses for corn syrup. Like, pouring it over chocolate chips.

Dave – Haven’t seen lard in quite a while, besides on store shelves. Still amazes me that it’s there. No, instead, we southerners just pour all our bacon grease in a used Folger’s can. That’s our substitute for lard. Yum. (but, of course, we don’t do that in our house, because who fries bacon from up from fresh anymore?)

5. That makes more sense. My stepmum used to mix up a puddle of corn syrup and cream on her Sunday morning plate of pancakes when I was a kid. Me, I just stuck to the good ‘n pure maple syrup.

The chocolate chips go IN the pancakes, silly! So in that sense you WOULD pour the syrup over the chocolate chips.

6. When I was a kid, I used to lve Karo syrup. Notw it makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it. That and Big League Chew bubble gum. [ouch] Obviously thinking about the Big League hurts my teeth worse.

I found the McD’s order oddly entertaining. Yes, the rain was very clear and a cool sound. But I liked the averageness of the material. The hum-drum realities of life as if we were riding to work with you. I’m conintually amazed at what my blog-voyouer mind finds interesting. I would have swore that a recording of a guy ordering breakfast through a speaker would be insultingly boring. And yet I found it comforting somehow. I’m sure this speaks to some deep psychosis, but thanks for sharing.

7. Simon – Corn syrup and cream. Chocolate chips in pancakes. Wow. You folks up north know how to make things sweet. Of course, I already knew you had choc-chip obsession.

Moksha – I thought the same thing when I listened to it. The rain became secondary to the action. To me, it was kind of like when you opened up your living room to the blogosphere. This isn’t anything special. It’s just me.

Dare I say it’s things like this that can help make all of us feel we’re not just digitized pen pals?

8. My GOD, there’s people that actually DON’T put real maple syrup on pancakes! *gasp*
    Tell me it’s not so Simon!!!!

Being from up here in New England where they MAKE maple syrup (there’s a sugar house a mile from my house run by a grade school friend), we have nothing but good syrup for pancakes and waffles.

Don’t even get me started about maple sugar candy.. ~swooning~

9. It’s an odd thing when you really start thinking about how best to share yourself with people countless miles away who only know what you show them. You start wondering what it is about you that really makes you…well…you. When I started my blog, my audience was primarily my dispersed family and friends who wanted to follow along with the pregnancy and later with Norah. They knew me, of course, and were really only interested in the “big” news. However, as I’ve met people out here who I only know through blogs and who only know me via the same ethereal medium, I find myself aiming the “camera” at the more mundane aspects of my life that my local friends take for granted. And it’s these same details that amaze me in others’ posts becasue it’s fun to try to find the humanity amidst the data.

It’s a fine line. I never want to be one of those people who blogs about absolutely nothing just to fill space. But as long as what we’re sharing opens some momentary window between the miles, it was worth the effort.

10. Dave – Believe it or not, my wife prefers Hungry Jack maple-flavored syrup (made mostly of high fructose corn syrup – ugh). I’m a genuine maple man, myself.

Moksha-na-na – Sounds like the way I started. What some people call “nothing,” Seinfeld and friends used to make a hit show. No, I’m not comparing my skills to theirs. Just saying that real life is just as interesting as anything else out there.

I like “opens some momentary window between the miles.” I hope I manage to do that at least a few times a week.