Cynthia Carter

Human beings are astoundingly resilient, but the things we fill our world with make us frail.

I’m not one to post news items very much, but something happened Wednesday that moved my wife and me.

It started with my drive into work. I took one of my two routes, and where there are usually a moderate number of cars, I was met by standstill traffic and long lines at intersections. My 25-minute drive to work turned into 48 minutes. Needless to say, I was tardy.

After I’d been at work a while, a co-worker said that he had heard about a fatal wreck that shut down a major highway used by commuters headed to Dallas. I don’t drive into the city, but the route I take could be used as an alternate path for those who do. That explained my long wait.

I was glad I was safe and that my workplace didn’t get up in arms about the occasional late arrival. I also thought of how sad it was that the crash victim would never drive to work or anywhere else again.

At home, Shannon told me that as she and Ben headed across town that afternoon, she saw a horribly smashed and burned lump that resembled a car. Her heart sank because she knew there was no way anyone in that car survived. On the five o’clock news, the reporters said that the driver was 33 — Shannon’s age — and had three children.

The good news is that the children were not in the car at the time. Sadly, they no longer have a mother. She left behind them and a loving, brokenhearted husband who said, “She was simple. She went to work, she worked hard, she came home and she took care of us.”

She was not a celebrity, so her death will not be mourned by millions. She was a working mother on her way to her job, at an intersection I drive through on most of my morning commutes. A sand truck struck her car and dragged it 150 yards, where it burst into flame.

The Dallas Morning News posted a story online the day of the accident.
(link no longer works — sorry) – Read all of this to really get a feel for who she was and how much her family loved her. I almost held it together as I read Amani Carter’s words about his wife. (As a former journalist, this makes me glad I worked for a newspaper and not for television. Worth noting, however, is that TV reporters contributed to this story.)

A local television station showed the car on the tow truck, just as Shannon saw it. (link no longer works — sorry)

The Carters would have celebrated their 15th anniversary in August — the same month Shannon and I will celebrate ours. This story hits home on too many levels. I have no idea whether Cynthia Carter could have done anything to prevent this accident, and I would never deign to suggest it. However, I did implore Shannon to always look to the sides before trusting a greenlight.

Then I hugged her as she cried.

I can’t imagine what Amani Carter must be going through right now. Our hearts go out to him and his family.

66 Responses to Cynthia Carter

1. My last line above should say “how they dealt with their loss as a family ‘will’ aid other families as they deal with similiar situations :) (should say will instead of with) Thanks!

2. I too just finished watching the movie Of Boys and Men and was so moved that this story was in deed a true one. I have been touched by the message in this movie, the comments left here, as well as the response from Carter and his sister. I just want to thank Mark for creating this post and helping Cynthia and the importance of family live on. I must say I am truly blessed to just know of Cynthia Carter. To the Carter family, I will continue to pray for you… May God continue to bless you and again thank you for sharing the life of such a wonderful woman of God with us! RIP Cynthia Carter

3. My heart goes out to those who have experience the transitions of life, friends and love ones. The longer we live the bonds of oneness nudge us with unspoken words, to realize our higher consciousness. The movie reveal the love for life necessary to make the best choices for a better tomorrow, in the face of despair.

4. Hi I just finish watching the movie. There are no words to describe the feelings that stir up inside me. Best wishes to the Carter Family!!

5. I just finish watching the show and it just makes you think about life and family. My heart goes out to this family.
    Remember to lift each other up daily!

6. Just saw the movie and noticed the name of the tournament matched the ending credit dedication. I did not know the movie was based on facts. A very good movie with lots of values. So glad that God does not turn his back when we question some of the things that happen in our lives. Great cast!

7. I just watched the movie and just wanted to say I think it was awesome…im still teary eyed

8. I have watched the movie ‘Of Boys and Men’ at least 20 times and it hits close to home deeply. I pray for continued peace and comfort to the family. Love life to the fullest and treasure our families because no one knows but God the day and hour we will be called to our Heavenly resting place.

9. Good morning to the Carter family. I just watched “Of Boys and Men on yesterday Nov.19,2013 and I want you to know that while Cynthia may not have been a celebrity she is mourned by millions. The story that you shared has instructed us to reprioritize our lives and to refocus our intentions. Thanx so much for that! May Gods mercy and grace continue to guide and protect you and your family, and when the weight of memories are too much, may his wings of love carry you to lighter moments!!! Peace!

10. Good Morning to the Carter family. I just watched “Of Boys and Men” on yesterday Nov.19,2013, and while Cynthia was not a celebrity she was (and is still being) mourned by millions. The story that you shared has really instructed us to reprioritize our lives and to refocus our intentions. Thanx so much for that! May Gods mercy and grace continue to guide you and your family, and when the weight of memories become too great, may his wings of love carry you to lighter moments! Peace!!!

11. I just watched the movie! I’m still crying! I will think about this family for years! I would love to know how everyone is today.

12. The movie I saw about this incident from the very beginning touched my heart to cry out. I could not imagine the heartache that took place in the lives of the husband and kids or even victim who put them all through the circumstance, I am pretty sure he must be feeling the guilt of it all as well. I will continue to pray for all, stay strong Carter family. God has you.

13. I drive a lot for work and anytime I catch myself getting frustrated in accident traffic, I remind myself that the person in the accident is having a much worse day than I. I’m so glad to hear that the family has continued to thrive despite this tragedy. I just saw the movie for the first time tonight and it really touched me.

14. Just saw the ???? again and it was a reminder of how precious family is. Value each other, share love daily and Trust God to keep us until we meet again. It’s been a decade and the pain of a family loss will forever be carried in the hearts of those whose lives were touched. God Bless the Carter family…R.I.P. Cynthia????

15. Just saw the ???? again and it was a reminder of how precious family is. Value each other, share love daily and Trust God to keep us until we meet again. It’s been a decade and the pain of a family loss will forever be carried in the hearts of those whose lives were touched. God Bless the Carter family…R.I.P. Cynthia????

16. I just watched the movie on Bounce TV (and as others have said googled Mrs Carter’s name) and cried through most of it. Although my 3 children are older, I lost my husband in June 2016, so I understand when the father/husband said “if I had only known”. I could not stop crying because I continue to say that….and I miss him so much. I am so glad to see the spiritual side as well. Watching it has helped to greive. So thank you for procducing such a beautiful -real life movie!!! I am so glad the family is doing well with the help of God and I am Praying for the Carter family, God bless!!!